Procedures for PAPA’s Help



1.MUST have exhausted the remedies provided within the system(required by PLRA to enable the filing of a legal court case should this be necessary)Grievances Step 1-if no resolution to your Step 1 an Appeal Grievances Step 2. Inmates’ need to know what is in their handbooks.

2.Must furnish PAPA with proof of attempts to resolve issues through I-60, Grievances, Office of Inspector General Responses, (you can send your paper work, it will be copied and returned to you) NOTE: This is limited copies if more than 6-10 pieces please get prior approval before sending.

3.Additional help needed: write out problem, Send your request for help to resolve issues through the TDCJ Truck Mail to Huntsville or mail it to P.O. Box 99, Huntsville, TX 77342 via USPS mail.
Visit TDCJ Website at: TDCJ Website

TDCJ Ombudsman Help: Ombudsman

4.More help needed: Write the problem/issues to: LEGISLATORS aka LAWMAKERS: Online Legislators

5.Please furnish Love-Ones or PAPA with the documentation list of who you write with copies (if at all possible) or at least a listing of who you wrote. We need copies of their response to your letter (you can send original, we can copy, return to you if you need it) We are not mind readers so please keep us informed.

6.Have your family and/or friends to write their Representative in the area they live in and the Representative over the area the Unit is located.

Have your family to write the TDCJ-Ombudsman Office, P.O. Box 99, Huntsville, TX77342 or Call at 936-437-4927 or Fax to 936-437-4930, explaining the problem and issue.

***Be sure your family are registered voters and get out to vote because the Representatives and Senators do check on this and it does make a difference.

Also if love ones have internet-they can go to the Website of TDCJ and find all types of information:


TDCJ Directory:



TDCJ Ombudsman:


7.The Inmate need to inform their Representative in both of the above mentioned areas as to what is going on. When you write be sure to write to the Representative over the Unit Area, then the Representative over the area where you were living when you were arrested – at all times show respect and “DO NOT” play THREATS and INTIMIDATION GAMES…this is “no way” to get help.

***NOTE***The more mail the Legislators of Texas receive each day from Inmates and their Love-Ones hopefully this will bring “AWARENESS” sparking the need for changes to be made. Plus if they receive mail then they cannot stand up and say they did not “know” about this or that (we must keep them in the “know”). The Legislators are the Lawmakers “PAID” by the Taxpayers who supply the funds for salaries and the funds for the budgets in our State of Texas***

8.Please keep us updated on all changes. Also send to PAPA your Love-Ones name, address, phone numbers, email address, fax number, in case we need to contact them at any time. PAPA does “NOT” make long distance calls for Inmates.

9.If a form is enclosed giving PAPA authorization to make inquires and to receive information on Inmate’s behalf please, sign, date, return to PAPA, P.O. Box 12446, Odessa, TX 79768-2446.

10.If a response is needed or required to Inmate’s correspondence please enclose stamped-self-addressed (SASE) envelope for PAPA to respond back. Also furnish a SASE if you need us to notify your family or to send them information for you. The best way to contact PAPA is through our website email address listed below.

Please advise your family members that we do not return long distance calls, they need to leave Inmate’s name, What State, Prison, Jail they are in with City, State, give PAPA inmate’s name, unit name, ID number, if we should need to contact the inmate. Lack of a response may be because proper information was not given. Considerations are made in reference to SASE from indigent Inmates.

11.Inmates need to have Love-One to purchase a “Power of Attorney” from the Office Supply Store for about $2.00,(can print a free one off of our site or many others are available on the web) send to Inmate after they have filled out the information, then the Inmate needs to fill-out, request for a Notary at the unit, sign and date in front of the notary, mail this back to your family, the family needs to file a copy with their County Clerk, get a certified copy from the clerk, (always keep the original in their file at home, make additional copies, send a copy to TDCJ Office in Austin to go in the inmate’s file and send a copy to the Warden at the Unit where Inmate is housed, if needed they may need to send a copy to the Health Services to obtain medical records. The family needs to maintain the Original at all times in their possession for additional copies if needed.

TDCJ “HIPPA” form should be completed and filed enabling outsiders to obtain medical information. This enables them to request medical records if needed, case problems, and several other issues in case something major happens to Inmates.

12.Family, Friends, of Inmate’s can write to

PAPA at: P.O. Box 12446, Odessa, TX 79768-2446

Email: EMAIL

for assistance, guidance, or visit website:


13.All contributions to help with cost of operations for PAPA will be appreciated. (Cash only)

14. PAPA does “NOT” send money to Inmates or any type of supplies. We do not make calls for Inmates, you have to ask your Love-Ones to contact us. PAPA DOE NOT look up or attempt to locate another person for you aka sister, ex-wife, girlfriends, parents,etc.

15.PAPA is NOT a legal entity, we do not have an attorney to assist us, we will try to guide you if we know anything that might help.

16.PAPA does NOT publish Inmates name at anytime, if need be a code will be used to reference to the Inmate. To publish the Inmate’s name on the internet is taking-a-life into your own hands because many inquiry-minds of TDCJ employment check websites, newsletters, and such for information on Inmates that develops into life-threatening retaliations many times. Do NOT allow advocate organizations to publish your name. PAPA uses a procedure to verify the person requesting additional information before that Inmates’ name is released to anyone and with the approval of the Inmate as to who is requesting the information.

17.Inmates need to send as much of their documents home to be held for safe-keeping from their cells. At any time a document is needed, have your file keeper to make a copy to send to you. NEVER send the original back in for security and safekeeping reasons; originals only for legal court documentation which many times the love-one can send to be attached to your case number.

18.PAPA does not make long distance calls for Inmates and does NOT accept collect calls from Inmates.All calls made to our office from a cell phone will be reported to proper authority.

19.PAPA does not contact anyone for Inmates, like family members, EX-Wives, Children, friends, the Inmate can send them the information to make contact with PAPA.

20.PAPA reserves the right to refuse service to anyone.

21.PAPA only wants the BEST for Inmates and their Love-ONES at all times. The major concern for PAPA is protecting the Inmate from any form of retaliation from the Prison System. Safety is the First Priority at all times and the reason that these procedures have been placed into practice.




Federal criminal civil rights law prohibits law enforcement agents from conspiring to interfere with federally protected rights, depriving rights under color of law, or using or conspiring to use force, or threat of force, to interfere with the free exercise of your civil rights.

To report criminal activities that constitute violations of civil rights, contact: U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, Criminal Section, PHB 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530, (202) 514-3204, Fax: (202) 514-8336,


If you have a complaint of police brutality or the abuse of your rights by the police or other public officials, contact the nearest office of the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), listed in the front of your telephone directory under “police,” or write to the Department of Justice at the address above.

An individual who believes that a law enforcement agency receiving Department of Justice assistance, such as a police or sheriff’s department, jail, state police, or corrections system, is discriminating on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or age, may file a complaint with: U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Coordination and Review Section, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530, (202)514-6255, TTY: (202) 307-2678, Fax: (202) 307-1197



U.S. Department of Justice Office
Civil Rights Division
950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
Special Litigation Section
Washington, DC 20530
(202)514-6255, Toll Free: (877)218-5228

Special Litigation Complaints

Civil Rights Email

Complaints of discrimination on the basis of disability by law enforcement agencies may also be sent to: U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division, Disability Rights Section, 1425 NYAV, Washington, DC 20530, Fax:(202)307-1197

Disability Help


Prisoners-The constitutional rights of Inmates are very limited. Prisoners’ rights that are protected are: a right to be free from cruel and unusual punishment, which is usually construed to mean the infliction of unnecessary and unrestricted pain; and a right to exercise religious beliefs. Prisoners must be allowed the opportunity to pray and to meet with other Inmates to worship within a group. Even individuals in disciplinary detention are entitled to pray and read religious texts.

Also, the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment to the Constitution requires that the conditions of women’s prisons be equal to the conditions under which male prisoners are held, and vice versa. If you are confined to a Federal Bureau of Prisons institution and believe you have been discriminated against by the institution, you should file a formal written complaint at the institution within 20 calendar days of the incident. Extensions of time will be granted where there is a valid reason for the delay. You should follow the internal grievance procedure unless you think that your complaint is such that you might be adversely affected if the nature of the complaint became known within the institution, in which case you may file the complaint with the appropriate Regional Director of the Bureau of Prisons.

Your complaint should include an explanation of why you have chosen to file with the Regional Director. If the complaint alleges that your health or welfare is immediately threatened, the warden must respond through the regional office within 48 hours of receiving the complaint. If you are confined to a non-federal institution and want to file a complaint about conditions or practices of the institution, follow the internal grievance procedure of the institution.

In some prison systems it is necessary to file an institutional grievance (Texas requires this be done) before filing suit in federal court. Under the Civil Rights of Institutionalized Persons Act, the Attorney General is authorized to file suit on behalf of Inmates at a given institution to redress systematic deprivations of Inmates’ constitutional rights.

To file a complaint with the Attorney General, write to:

U.S. Department of Justice Civil Rights Division, Special Litigation Section, 950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20530, (202) 514-6255, (877) 218-5228, Fax: (202) 514-0212,



Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), prisoners with disabilities, particularly prisoners with HIV, may have a right to participate in various services, programs, and activities. Complaints of discrimination under the ADA should be filed with the Department of Justice within 180 days of the alleged discriminatory act.



******ALL EMERGENCY situations are handled upon receipt if proper information is furnished.***

If ALL Family, Love Ones, concerned Friends, will help to make the Legislators of Texas aware of what is going on in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice – we can make a difference – BUT we need “ALL” to help – overload them with calls, faxes, emails, correspondence, cut articles you read out of the paper, magazines, etc. – mail this to the Legislators of Texas, DO NOT STOP or WE LOOSE.

DO NOT ask PAPA to do for you what you can do for yourself. There is plenty of help for the asking to Guide,Teach, Direct from Advocates and Activist.
POB 12446 Odessa TX 79768-2446

***NOTE***: This information is on website:


where your love-ones can obtain this information

***NOTE***: If “ALL” family, Love One, concerned friends, will help to make the Legislators of Texas aware of what is going on in the Texas Department of Criminal Justice – we can make a difference – BUT we need “ALL” to help – overload the Texas legislators with calls, faxes, emails, correspondence, cut articles you read out of the paper, magazines, etc. – mail this to the Legislators of Texas. Make them Accountable and Responsible. Let the legislators know you are a VOTING TAXPAYING CITIZEN

© Copyright Form PPR-PAPA-April 2002 revised 07/15/19 Copyright ©


PAPA Website



©People Against Prison Abuse aka PAPA™
2Million Citizens-in-Action aka 2mpCIA™
Enough is Enough!
Stop the Insanity!
“NOT” Soft on Crime,”STRONG” on Fair Justice